Happy 2018, y’all! I hope this new year is treating you better than the old one.
2017 was a lot of things. Difficult. Challenging. Depressing. Exhausting. It was also hopeful. Fun. Exciting. Life-changing.
This year, I asked those close to me a question when I wished them well in the New Year: what’s one thing you’ve done/tried/bought/whatever in the past year that I should adopt in the year ahead?
I love starting the New Year off with these kinds of contemplations. It put me outside of my own box, and got me thinking about what I should try.
Answers went from the practical:
- Buy real adult face lotion “like a grown-up” – Ahava is what was recommended.
- Mary’s Gone Crackers from Sprouts – healthy AND tasty and apparently very good with smoked cheeses.
- A make-up eraser is pretty much the MUST HAVE thing I should add to my beauty box.
To the daily self-care:
- Daily morning meditation (suggested by two different people). I’ve been meditating most mornings and I can stay that I feel the benefits.
- Walk/exercise first thing in the morning, especially so you can’t convince yourself you’re “too tired” at the end of the day.
- Letting go more and having a more “go with the flow” mentality; not trying to control everything.
- Standing up for yourself.
- Bullet journaling to keep all my goals in check.
To the fun:
- Throw impromptu dinner parties.
- Dating Jess (according to the boyfriend, known here as Mr. Peanutbutter).
- Travel with someone you love.
- Laugh more often.
To the writerly:
- Use Tools for Writers from Christie Yant.
- Participate in Codex’s Weekend Warrior challenges and work on writing flash fiction.
- Join the Get Your Words Out community.
- Read “The Obstacle is the Way” by Ryan Holiday.
I love these ideas and I’m glad that I asked a question beyond just wishing people a happy New Year.
If you need more inspiration, you can’t do better than Neil Gaiman.