It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. It was 2016, a year to be remembered; a year many wish to forget.
This year was like riding on the world’s most epic rollercoaster – and like riding on the weirdest, most twisted rollercoaster one could imagine. One that has no end and no escape.
This sentiment is both humbling and empowering; terrifying and yet gives me hope.
I normally do a year-end blog. I’m sitting here, listening to the torrential downpour outside, and having the most gloriously boring New Year’s Eve ever, and when I think about this year, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude, awe, love, and excitement for the year ahead.
I had some pretty horrible shit go down this year, too, but right now, on the last day of 2016, with my 35th birthday right around the corner, I don’t see it. All I see is the good that happened this year. So buckle up, buttercup; it’s about to get real.
Ms. Jess’s Wild Ride
- Traveled to Las Vegas for the first time – by myself – and got my first (but not last) tattoo at Revolt Tattoos by the one, the only, Mr. Walter Frank.
- Contacted a swing dance/writer friend on a whim – which led to us working together on a variety of projects – including the creation of Dear Anne Media. Thank you, Steph, for giving me a chance to work with you. It makes my heart so happy.
- Attended Paradise Lost in April in San Antonio, TX, which lead to a massive expansion of my writer tribe. I love y’all more than I can say. SPACE RAPTORS FOREVAH.
- Paradise Lost was the catalyst for many things. I learned at Paradise Lost that I was eligible to join the neo-pro spec fic group Codex, and had been since I attended Viable Paradise. Somehow I did not know this, but now I’m a member.
- It was also at Paradise Lost that I decided to spend 6 months believing in myself & my writing. I quit a mediocre part-time job in the process and freaked out repeatedly for 2 months about my decision.
- According to Grammarly, wrote over 2 million words. That seems about write (HAH! Puns!).
- Wrote and submitted more this year than any other
- There’s good news on that front, but I can’t talk about it publicly yet.
- OH! I’m officially back to my maiden name of Kormos.
- Was surprised and swept off my feet by the best man I’ve ever known, even if he is a scruffy nerf herder. Love, Your Weirdo 😛
- Switched to a new QA position at the day job – causing an immediate increase in satisfaction and a massive decrease in stress.
- Dad & stepmom came out to visit from PA – which included Dad & Jess’s Excellent Adventures when we road tripped to Norco to see is former bandmate, Vince.
There’s a lot more that I could talk about, but it’s impossible to sum up a year in a post like this. I had good days and trying days. I had days when I wondered just who the hell I thought I was to want to be a writer, and days when I just wondered who the hell I was period. For every good thing that happened, there were a million steps that came before it.
The grandest thing that happened this year is that I fully embraced my beautiful, messy, imperfect life and my beautiful, messy, imperfect self.
What a difference a year makes.
Happy New Year’s everyone. May 2017 be more amazing than anything you could possibly dream.